Australia Embassy and Universitas Islam Negeri Syarif Hidayatullah
present a Contemporary Islam Seminar
On 20 September 2017, the Australian Embassy will co-host a Contemporary Islam Seminar in partnership with Universitas Islam Negeri (UIN) Syarif Hidayatullah, at UIN’s South Tangerang Campus, FISIP theatre, from 2:30pm to 5pm.
The event aims to show-case our Australian alumnis’ voices on the multi-dimensional facets of contemporary Islam in Indonesia and Australia.
The event will include both ‘TED-style’ presentations by prominent alumni (who have studied in Australia), a networking session, and the launch of a compendium of written work on Contemporary Islam in Indonesia and Australia by alumni drawn from across Indonesia.
The keynote address will be delivered by Professor Mohamad Abdalla, Director of the University of South Australia’s Centre for Islamic Thought and Education, focusing on his perspectives of Islam in Australia.
He will be joined by five prominent alumni speakers who will present their thoughts on the value of Islamic education and the role of Islam in modern world. Speakers include:
- Fahd Pahdepie: (Monash alumnus): Best-selling writer and entrepreneur (inspirasi.co) and winner of 2017 Outstanding Young Alumni Award
- Amelia Fauzia (Uni Melbourne alumnus and UNSW visiting fellow): Lecturer, UIN, and Senior Research Fellow at the Asia Research Institute
- Nina Nurmila (Murdoch alumnus): Senior Lecturer, UIN and Commissioner, National Commission on Violence against Women (Komnas Perempuan)
- Noor Huda Ismail (Monash alumnus): Executive Director, The Institute for International Peace Building, Producer of acclaimed documentary Jihad Selfie
- Ismatu Ropi (ANU alumnus): Senior Lecturer and Director of Research, Centre for the Study of Islam and Society, UIN
The event is an activity born from the Australian Embassy’s Alumni Engagement Strategy 2016-2020. Alumni engagement remains a top priority for the Australian Embassy and the Indonesian and Australian Governments remain commitment to cooperation on education and people-to-people ties. (usa/sam)
+ 62 811 1440 147